Tuesday, August 24, 2010

So there was this time I developed Pancreatitis and I could have died..

Oh yeah, that was last week! What a terrible terrible week!

My doctor said that my levels were very high. Like off the charts high. I am thankful that I did not really have access to internet for the 4 days I was at the hospital to know that pancreatitis can be deadly. I think if I had known I would have been even MORE of a mess!

Ok. So I came home from the hospital on Saturday, still in pain, after 4 days in the hospital, but happy to be home. On Monday morning I had to go BACK to the hospital to have an x-ray done to see if the stent had fallen out of my pancreas like it was supposed to or not.

Well of course it didn’t. There has not been an “easy button” for this entire process. Or any process really.


My body just does not seem to cooperate when it comes to medical issues!!!

Yesterday the doc said that the reason that the surgery on Wednesday was so difficult is just my anatomy. My body cavity is pretty small (I am shaped like a pear, small on top and then it rounds out on the bottom!) and there just is not much room to move around. That also could be why the stent did not fall out, everything in there is so compact, it was holding it into place!

So back to Monday! I had to have the procedure done, again to get the stent out. I about LOST it (who am I kidding, I did lose it!) when they said I was going to have to be sedated, they were going to have to go down my throat again, all to get it out!!! My dear friend Shannon had taken me to the hospital because John had a flight so she got to see me at my absolute worst! We had to run around very quickly to the lab to get a pregnancy test done, and then to the administration office to get all of the paperwork done for the procedure. It took about an hour and a half and when we were on our way back to the GI office, the receptionist was in the hallway looking for us! I guess they wanted to do the procedure NOW!!!

  • Side note- when we were sitting in the lab waiting for my pregnancy test (standard protocol), they called a Code Blue over the intercom! It was in the women's restroom of the outpatient pharmacy just down the way from us. It made me so sad because some of the people in the lab were sort of making fun of the fact of dying in the bathroom. I just felt sad for this women and I hope she was able to be revived and is ok!

Ok so they immediately took me back into the GI suite for the procedure and got me all hooked up with my IV, heart monitor, etc. This was my 6th or 7th IV of the week. I have bruises all up and down my arms. Last time I had this procedure done, I had an allergic reaction to the sedation medications (and I did not sedate, i stayed awake) so I was really nervous. Not to mention I was terrified that the doctor messing with my pancreas again would cause another run of the pancreatitis.

They pushed Benadryl preemptively which thankfully calmed me down quite a bit. The nurses kept calling down to the lab to get my HCG result, which was taking a while. They ended up wheeling me into the procedure room prior to having the results, and there was a loud cheer when they finally came through! YAH!


So again, I was terrified of not sedating, of being awake for the procedure again (like I was a couple of weeks ago), but the doctor assured me he would give me enough medication to “knock a horse out”, and that he did. I woke up in recovery and everything went great. Praise the lord! He removed the stent, I do not remember a thing, the pancreatitis did not get worse, and I was able to come home immediately! HOORAY!

Now I am just waiting for the pain to completely go away so that I can go get Owen. I miss the little guy. Jackie said he has been talking up a storm and telling her when he has gone potty. I cant wait to hold him and snuggle him. I walked into his room last night for the first time since he left and I got so sad! While I am so glad he has not been here for the whole process, I miss the little guy a TON!

Thank you everyone for your amazing thoughts and prayers. I would not have been able to get through the last week without all of you. And for my husband, who has seen me at my worst and still tells me I am beautiful! I love you!

1 comment:

Our Love Our Life said...

So sorry to hear that you had to have the additional procedure. You have really been through so much the last few months and hopefully it has all come to an end now. I will be praying for you to get recovery quickly so you can go get little Owen and bring him back home. I know your missing him alot. Than shortly after we will be there :)